Friday, May 16, 2008

A Good Catch??

I have this image in my mind of the perfect one for me. Now granted, he's constantly changing as I meet more people with qualities I'm looking for, but I think it's safe to say that I have a general idea of what I want. You're probably reading this thinking I'm entirely too picky and I'll never find him...but let me enlighten you as to how I've become this way.

This process of putting together my "perfect guy" started about age 7, the year I decided that I was going to marry Prince Eric from The Little Mermaid. He was soooo dreamy, and who else could sail a sunken ship and stab Ursula while simultaneously electricuting her? I'm telling you he was a catch! Eric was quickly followed by Dmitri from Anastasia and Prince Phillip, and as I got older, Justin Timberlake (my preteen phase) and Shawn Hunter (from Boy Meets world.)
Eventually, I moved out of this "fictional" phase (though I'm still pining for Brad Pitt, George Clooney and James Marsden) and into "real life" dating. In junior high when I "went out" with boys I found out really quickly how stupid they can be. I learned right away that holding hands is super important, and that if it makes you uncomfortable, it's the wrong person's hand you're holding. Thank you Logan. Next there was David who showed me that I'm a flirt and can't date a jealous boy. There was pizza throwing involved... :) David was followed by Lee, my almost boyfriend who was probably the nicest guy to date. He was the one who helped me realize that I needed I guy to take charge in a relationship. (nothing happened because he didn't) but he also showed me that I needed someone I could talk to, and get excited about being around. Lee was followed by a slew of very random, and short lived crushes, until John. He helped me understand that guys don't know what they want, so they try to date a lot of girls to figure it out. John's problem was that he dated them all at once. Oops.
My first real boyfriend was Steve, and I believe he was the only one who taught me all the good things, nothing bad. He taught me how to meet people, how to laugh, how to take risks, how to be honest. Long story short, since him I've dated Spencer, work jerk with an attitude who never called, and BJ the cheater.
So the point I'm trying to make is that through all my experiences I've figured out what I want. The problem therefore, is that I keep having people tell me what I want and that I'm to picky, but really, isn't it better that I know what I want? Won't that save me and everyone else a lot of heartache? People keep trying to set me up and wonder why I don't like who they choose, but ultimately it is up to me right?

2 comments:

Andrew/Andy/Rusty said...

"...that if it makes you uncomfortable, it's the wrong person's hand you're holding. Thank you Logan."

CLASSIC!

But knowing what you want is a very, very good thing.

Shan said...

hey, there's nothing wrong with being picky. because someday he'll come a long. promise... speaking from experience. ;D