Thursday, September 11, 2008

Digging Deeper

A friend posed a question to me yesterday that really made me think and in fact, I have been unable to stop thinking about it. As we were sitting outside and I was talking to her about how my life was going she asked me, point blank," Megan do you know who you really are?" She said she'd been thinking about it herself lately and was wondering if I had ever thought about it. I began spouting ideas of who I think I am: a singer; a student; a tellar; a pianist; diet coke lover; a music listener; a single, 5 ft 4, brown haired, blue eyed, almost-20-year-old, LDS girl.

Pretty self explanatory answers right? These are things that I do and that defines who I am, right? Well, to an extent it is right. I love music, it is a huge part of who I am. I feel like I am a hard worker who tries hard to succeed. I am happy to be that. However, then she through me another question that changed the way I had viewed the first. She said, "No Megan, I know your talents are a huge part of who you are, but with out all those things who are you?"

This question has caused me to reflect more on what I am on the inside. What do I think about, how do I feel about specific things, what do I believe in. Those things will stay with me no matter what happens. If my voice goes, when I'm done at this job or finished with school, when I can't drink diet coke anymore cause it's bad for you what will make me...me? Something to think about.

3 comments:

Sarah Jane said...

Something you are is an amazing big sister! I love your guts.... and you too! You make me happy inside!

Lacey said...

Who are you? A daughter of God with the potential to become anybody! That's all that matters! :)

Abigail said...

Believe me, your personality goes far beyond your Diet Coke addiction, but I understand what you mean. Our personalities consist of every tendency, which tend to be replace by more tendencies when the old ones run out. You just choose those that make up your personality, therefore keeping you unique and very much you! Which I will always love.