Wednesday, September 24, 2008

"Mom Mode"


After a day of being constantly on my feet, I came home from the Library yesterday only to find my roommate Melissa lying in bed with a fever. I soon found out that she had been in bed all day with the worst of flu symptoms. She'd had nothing to eat all day and was basically immobile, she even told me this morning that she had no recollection of us talking to her last night.

It was a lovely situation to walk into after an unbelievably long day. However last night I realized something about myself. I have a "mom mode" that somehow switches on whenever someone close to me is hurting, physically and emotionally. For example, last night I became instantly concerned with how Melissa was doing. I felt the need to feel her forehead, check her temperature, and made sure she was drinking enough fluids. Normally, I'll be honest, sick people freak me out. In this case however I was so worried about my roommate being miserable that I just had to take care of her. Even now I find myself texting my other roommates to make sure Melissa is resting and drinking water. I was overwhelmed at first, I didn't realize that I had this side of me, but luckily my roommate Mandy's mom mode had switched on before mine and she was quick to put me to work helping Melissa. I was suprised that we both had this within us, when our other roommates didn't seem to have it at all.

Now that I know I can do this, there is no limit to what I can do! Huzzah! It's such an empowering feeling to know I have this ability within me.

3 comments:

Sarah Jane said...

I could have told you that you have a mom mode :D. hehehe that is one thing I LOVE about you!

P.S. I love that you chose Arthur's mom as your picture. "Cause I was JEKYLL JEKYLL HYDE JEKYLL HYDE HYDE JEKYLL." That is a classic

Natalee said...

Thats awesome! I don't have kids but when my puppy Howie threw up yesterday I think my "mom mode" switch went on too. I think it's awesome to be like that... people like people who care!

Char Char said...

Ouch. Well, I'm glad you feel that way, that is very cool! Especially with the career you're looking into. You are great. :)