Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Fine

Have you ever had someone ask you how you are and you responded with, "I'm fine..."? It's a pretty generic way to describe your feelings don't you think? If you are in a bad mood or something bad happens, you don't wanna say, "crappy, I hate life." That is too unsettling. And if you are ecstatic, very rarely do you say, "I am just ecstatic." It's too braggy. So I guess really my question is, how many of us say we are fine, and actually mean it?

When we are hurting, it is easier to brush questions like "How are you?" with said response. And let's be honest, for most of us, when we ask a friend or coworker how they are, we aren't looking for their life story. A short answer would suffice. I mean if I were asking, I would not want to hear about so and so's dog dying, their test going badly, or that their boyfriend/spouse is upset at them again. No one wants to know the hard things that are going on in your life, no that is too depressing. No one likes to be around depressed people. Depression is contagious, as is almost any other emotion. Therefore, we choose to spare the ugly details of what's really going on in our lives, and cling to the happy highlights of someone else's life, until we can form our own.

So what if you don't have any happy highlights to share? What if you are going through the hardest of times and the only adequate response to choose besides bursting into tears is "I'm Fine." I can say from experience, that sometimes the only thing that saves me from breaking down is to respond quickly with "I'm fine" and then change the subject. It's too hard to think about everything going wrong. It's too hard to think about what you had, or what you want again. It's too hard to tell everyone that you have no idea where to go from here. So "I'm Fine" will suffice for now. What more can you say?


P.S. This is not supposed to be depressing, I promise that despite all that's happening with me lately, I am happy. It's just something I was thinking about.

5 comments:

Sash said...

I completely know how you mean. Not at the moment ;) but yes, fine is a cop out. Your blog is adorable Megs. Of course it is. I'm all inspired to mend my boring blog! Miss you babe

Unknown said...

I've started responding with nonsense, things like: "33.6" or the like. But as I was walking home today I asked a girl this question, and her response was, "Pretty good." I could tell she wasn't doing pretty good. I should have asked, maybe I could have shared her burden.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

The question of "how are you?" is actually just a way of saying hi or expressing that you care. It kind of leaves that door open to the other person to tell about their feelings if they are comfortable enough around you. In the Philippines, you often say hi to people by asking the question "where are you going? or "where are you coming from?" It's weird, but they aren't really looking for a real response. They are usually fine with response "there". Just like us Americans are fine with just saying "I'm fine"

Anonymous said...

Totally hear ya Megs. My question is, what are you supposed to ask when you really DO want to know how a person is doing? Not that you want to hear all their depressing thoughts and life history.You simply want to let them know you genuinely care, and you want to invite them to speak, laugh, or burst into tears - depending on their mood. But you don't want them to feel like your demanding a response or trying to save them. You just want to be there. What do you say then?