Friday, November 20, 2009

Arguing

I've never been much good at arguing. In middle school when learning how to debate, I remember quite specifically standing up to make my point and forgetting everything I was about to say. I guess I'm not that great at confrontation.

Now, obviously this becomes a problem during long, lengthy and important arguements. I get rather flustered and am easily swayed to one side or another just to avoid talking about it any more. The more frustrating thing however, is that when I'm trying to pick a silly fight. For example last night when I was on the phone with my friend he mentioned that, of the two of us, he was always the optimist. I laughed, saying that there were several times he'd been the pessimist. The trouble came when I couldn't produce an instance where this was the case. For some reason when I'm fighting with someone, all details and facts immediately leave me.

Problems also occur when throwing insults, bantering with friends or working with 2nd graders. I'm good for one good retort, and then I'm out. After that, I have to start using generic comebacks such as "your mom...insert clever comment here" or "I'll...insert whatever they said here...your face!" Not really very original, am I? When fighting with my 2nd graders I was often challenged as to what the consequence would be if they didn't do what I said. On one occasion in particular I remember saying, "Well I don't know what will happen, but it won't be good." Oh yeah, I've definitely got them scared now!

Therein lies my struggle. I often lose the arguements because I know that I don't have the facts to back me up. I get too flustered, defensive or annoyed to remember.

My point is this, it certainly becomes infuriating when I'm the one who picks the fight and I can't even finish it!

0 comments: