Monday, July 27, 2009

Hence forth, Jessie and I will no longer be allowed to sit together in Sacrament Meeting...

For the summer, our ward has been combined with 3 other wards because there are so few people living in the area as of now. For this month, another ward is in charge of the sacrament meetings. Now I understand that choosing speakers and subjects is a difficult task, one that I would never want. I'm sure the bishopric of this ward was trying to get some excitement about their said subject, Missionary Work. Great...Fine...but let's be honest. When you instruct 3 college students to discuss the same topic, inevitably they will give the same talk in three different voices. Please, for the love of everything good in this world Bishop, please never do a themed sacrament meeting again.

One thing you have to understand about Jessie and I...sometimes when we haven't had enough Diet Coke, we do things we aren't proud of. This combined with the somewhat reckless decision to sleep outside the night before on the grassy knoll, cause it's just too DARN hot in our apartment, made us quite irritable yesterday. Yes, it would have been scary, sleeping outside alone, but Travis protected us girls by sleeping a good 3 feet away, cuddled up like a napkin. When I sleep, I don't mean really sleep, I mean wake up every five seconds cause bugs are crawling on you, lying on the grass, staring at the bug zapper as it eats giant winged creatures. So when we woke up the next morning I had a blinding spot dwelling in front of my left eye, and Jess had a stabbing pain just between her eyeballs.

Yes I realize that on SUNDAY there is no excuse for being grumpy at church. I mean, we brought these head pains upon ourselves with our silly fly-by-the-seat-of-our-pants ideas. So I am not asking anyone to feel sorry for us. Actually, I feel sorry for everyone who had to be around us yesterday. We did however spare those who would have to sit with us in Sunday school...the caffeine monster was on my back and I could not take it anymore. (Hey jess, did you feel that, we just got judged)...

So back in sacrament meeting, Jessie and I just couldn't handle the same speeches over and over. I was going to fall asleep on the shoulder of the guy next to me, and I didn't even know him. In order to stay awake Jessie and I did what every young LDS woman does...We practiced signing our names Mrs. Megan/Jessie...... Shortly after that got boring, we did the second thing LDS women do...Wrote down baby names that we liked. Our favorite however, came from Travis who is going to name his son Espen, but spell it ESPN. I thought it was clever. We laughed and giggled all through the talks (some of our names and chosen spellings were hilarious) and for the life of me, I couldn't keep still. We also covertly awkward handed several people surrounding us, laughing because they had no idea what we were up to. We're sinners...

And then, the clincher. The one thing that could of save the meeting for us we completely blew. The choice for the last song was "Called to Serve." Our organist was playing it fast and snappy (as it should be) and we could not contain ourselves. Songs like this one bring out the primary kid in me. I began by sit-marching...making marching movements while sitting...and Jessie joined in. If you know the base line of this song, you know that there's a lot of fanfare. So we began singing the fanfare between verses, and Jessie did that thing where she slides up to the top notes right before they were to be sung. It didn't help that the people behind us were joining in. Apparently silliness is contagious in a singles ward. Looking around, a ton of people were engaged in similar actions, but none as obviously as Jessie and I. At one point I looked up and our Bishop was staring us down, although he started to laugh at the end.

I guess we won't be surprised when the Bishop asks us to speak next week.

3 comments:

Sarah Jane said...

Hehehe! You two are hilarious! I particularly liked the bit about the "Grassy Knoll." So awesome!

Mabs said...

hahahahahahaha! i wish i could have been there. sort of. ESPN? that's cruel. hehe :)

Hoopswim said...

The latest I have is what is posted on her Facebook Info. When I get a more recent address, I'll post it there:

Sister Rebecca Michelle Swim
Taiwan Taichung Mission
498-11 Wu Chuan Rd.
Taichung, 404-46 Taiwan
R.O.C